Every application we use has those little things, that make the user’s work so much easier. It can be a keyboard shortcut, a hidden option, or a quick way to make the most out of a feature.
With the years we’ve created a long list of such helpful tips. Long enough to have it here for your convenience.
Let us know if you find it helpful or if you have a few tips of your own for us to add.
- Soft-Link is a great tool for better structuring and organizing of your testing.
- Shared steps, and shared-precondition, are a great way to save time and better manage your test writing efforts.
- To re-organize your suites, you can Drag & Drop a suite into other suites.
- In Requirements area, under the Tests in this requirement, right-click a test to get a list of actions and reports. Direct access. No need to move to other screens in order to work with, or edit, tests.
- A test in the lab will be automatically re-assigned to the tester who runs it, regardless of any other tester’s list of tests. You can use it, for example, when not sure about assignments when creating the lab.
- Ask your team member to run a test directly from the Tests view by a simple right-click–>assign option.
- When assigning tests in the lab, select more than one Run-Configuration to create a run for each, with one click.
- Use the Lab filters to assign only the filtered tests. When assigning suites/tests only the filtered results will be assigned.
- Labs can be a great way to plan and manage your test cycles. You can use labs also to represent new versions of your application.
Bug Trackers and Defect Reporting
- Bug tracker setup allows you to connect each Testuff project to a matching tracker project.
- When reporting a defect, you can Drag & Drop files from a folder to the entry fields of the bug reporter file attachment section.
- Use Template Tags for defect custom field value reporting.
- Customize your bug reports. The Defect Template is a great way to get your bugs look exactly in the way you want them.
- Use the same Defect Status values as in your tracker for better follow up and synchronization with your developers.
- Show your colleagues, using the tracker, the link they have on a defect with which they can close defects in Testuff. You can synchronize the defects status, as updated in the tracker, directly from Testuff.
Account Organization and Control
- Click on a column’s title to sort the table by this column.
- Select your spellchecker preferred dictionary. Go to Settings–>Languages. Can’t find what you need there? Let us know and we’ll add it.
- Test Runner window is Always on top by default. However, you can control this, in the Settings–>Look and Feel tab.
- Table columns can be customized – sort the table with a click on a column’s title, adjust the width and use hide/show option to select the columns to display.
- Use the Teams feature (in a project’s settings) to better manage your testers and projects.
- Show or Hide table columns. Right-click on the table’s titles area to customize your tables.
- Clean up your screens. You can archive projects, branches and labs and get a better organized view of your current working space. Restoring from archive is easy.
- Customize your account in Settings–>Customization.
- Adjust your view to the way you like it: All windows within the screens can be re-sized (Drag the borders). Columns in tables can be hidden (right-click the titles area).
Speeding Up Work
- Copy & paste does miracles in Testuff. Use it for a test or a suite, or even a group of them (ctrl and shift work). It works between branches and projects as well.
- A test can be edited while running it. Use the Edit test link on top of the runner.
- To pass more than one test at the same time, mark a group of tests in the Lab, then right-click them and select Mark as passed. This works for any other status as well.
- Double-click a search result item to go directly to it.
- Use Export test/s to Excel to quickly edit them, and import back using the update import option.
- Keyboard Shortcuts work in the Test Editor. Use them to speed up your work.
- Work on several tests at once. Select more than one test/run and right-click the selection for speed editing.
- To move a test from one suite to another, simply drag and drop it to the designated suite.
- Watch for the
icon in Testuff. Click on it to get more information about a test.